You know what, I'm going to go ahead and admit something that makes me really uncomfortable to try to figure out. I find that it's always been a little bit tricky making friends with other women, and I often try to figure out WHY this is. I kind of thought that once I got married and I wasn't in a social group where we were all kind of competing for the cute guy that things would be a lot easier, and in some ways they are, but in other ways not a lot has changed! I think it has something to do with me leaning more toward the introverted side and I've never been good at small talk whatsoever, but I always have genuine intentions. It just doesn't stick all that well.
Why can't it be as easy as it was as a kid where you both just like climbing the jungle gym and you both like pink and purple so bam! Insta friends! Now it's like, even if you have a kid the same age and similar interests and live nearby I still find that it goes something like this:
"Hey, we should totally do something sometime!"
"Yeah we should! Like go get frozen yogurt and take the kids down by the lake."
"Yeah, I'll give you a call sometime!"
And then nothing. Sigh.
It's been easier to just maintain friendships with women I met when I was a teenager than to try to make good friends as an adult. I know we all are so busy at this stage in our lives as well which really does make it tricky.
Also, are women always secretly in competition with each other? I feel like we are, and I find myself even being tempted to think that way from time to time, and I don't like it! It's like now instead of trying to one up each other in dating or in grades at school we're trying to show each other that we have the cutest house, that we regularly practice yoga and make all our baby food from scratch and still go dancing with our man on the weekend.
When it comes down to it, I really don't care if your kitchen is messy, or if you let your kid eat a brownie for breakfast. I haven't lost all my pregnancy weight even 9 months into it, and sometimes I don't shower until 1 pm, so I'm not going to pretend I have it all going on. I feel like sometimes we put on this face of having our crap together when we really don't and it makes it hard to form genuine connections.
Am I the only one? Being married to my favorite person is amazing, but having a good girl friend is a real treasure in life, so I'll keep making the effort.
I'd like to hear some of ya'lls thoughts on this. Do others of you struggle with this and what do you do about it?

No comments:
Post a Comment