Thursday, August 22, 2013
Prepare Your Car For Emergency Situations
I really don't like to think about it and I am not one of those types of people that is always prepared. If anything I'm more the fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants types who takes risks and isn't always as cautious as I should be. I've had my fair share of car troubles, especially when I was driving my fun foreign sports car that did nothing but break down and rob me blind, and I hate to admit I've never been prepared to handle the situation of car troubles when they came along. Now that I'm a mom I feel like I should probably be a little more responsible. Lots of traveling occurs during the holiday season and the roads are often more dangerous than ever, but even during your day to day driving it's probably a good idea to have some things in your car with you at all times in case you get stranded.
A Fully Charged Cell Phone- for obvious reasons! I even hate it when I leave on a quick errand and realize I left my cell phone at home.
Jumper Cables- Make sure these are a good 12 feet long.
Warm Blanket- You may decide to keep a sleeping bag in there instead, but just make sure it's heavy and warm, and water resistant might be even better.
First Aid Kit- A typical first aid kit that you can buy at the drugstore should do the trick.
A Gallon Of Water- The last thing you want is to be stuck somewhere in the hot mid-west miles from anywhere convenient, sweating and thirsty!
Flashlight or Headlamp- Plenty of emergency flashlights don't require batteries and headlamps are convenient because you can just strap them on your head so that you can look for things in your car or work on a flat tire even while it's dark, especially if you have no one with you to hold a flashlight!
Ice Scraper- Keep those windows free from dangerous ice build up!
Chains- For driving on extra slick conditions.
Emergency Food- Think non-perishable items that can remain in your car for months without going bad. Granola bars are great, especially energy bars and protein bars, peanut butter, nuts, things that won't melt. If you decide to keep some canned food, make sure you have a can opener in your car as well!
Tow Rope or Tow Strap- These would come in really handy if you get your car stuck in deep mud or a snow bank and you need to rely on another vehicle to help pull your car out!
Spare Key- A spare key in a magnetized key holder under my car or on the back of my spare tire on the back of my car has saved my booty countless times already!
Sand/Gravel- You may need to sprinkle this on the ice surrounding your tires so you can drive out of a slick spot without slipping further off the side of the road. Just shovel some into a bag and keep it under the seat or in the trunk.
Life Hammer- Check it out! This Life Hammer is a life saver and I don't have one but you can bet it's officially on my must have gift list to buy ASAP. It's a tool that breaks through the glass on vehicle windows, cuts through seat belts, etc. Hopefully you'll never find yourself in a situation that requires it but it makes me think of those scenes in movies where the car drives into a body of water and the passengers can't get out. Oh my gosh. Life Hammer to the rescue.
Extra Fuel- I think it areas like Arizona where it gets extra, extra hot, this can be tricky, but if you have an approved fuel container to keep half a gallon in, that could really be a life saver as well.
A Portable Air Compressor- I didn't realize this before, but if you get a flat tire (so long as it isn't completely blown but just has a leak) and have a portable air compressor with you, you should be able to fill your tire with air to last long enough to get you to the nearest repair shop and off the side of the road.
I might also add a spare pair of clothes in case of weather changes or what have you and if you have kids, think of what else they might need in a pinch! Maybe store some baby formula and a bottle, some extra diapers and coats for the little ones as well.
Phew, ok I gotta get my car ready, there are plenty of these things I don't have in my car currently. I recall having my car not start after just moving to Seattle and being pregnant and in a weird part of town and not knowing anyone here that I could call and my husband was out of town for work. It was really uncomfortable feeling that helpless. Granted this is a lot of stuff and the chances of you needing all of it are slim, but what if you did? Once you get it all in your car, maybe in a large storage container in the back, think of the peace of mind!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment